Mac OS 10.1 installer works in MOL on a flat file!

Christian Walther mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Sun, 8 Jun 2003 07:32:28 +0200

> I've finally figured out how to get Mac OS 10.1's installer to work
> properly
> in MOL, when installing into a plain file (rather than onto an actual
> disk
> partition).
>
> Here's the steps...

There's an easier way. At least it worked for me with 10.2 and 9, but I
think there should be no difference to 10.1. I'm not sure if I remember
all the steps correctly, but here you go:

1. Create your plain file, using dd or whatever.
2. Add it to molrc as a blkdev with the -force flag (To quote your
example:
	blkdev: /var/local/lib/mol/mol-disk-osx -rw -force)
(AFAIR "-whole" is not necessary, because the file is treated as a
partition, not as a disk)
3. Boot MOL from the Install CD and use Disk Utility to format your
image file that should show up as an unformatted disk.
4. Install
5. Remove the "-force" from the blkdev entry and add a "-boot"

AFAIR the trouble I had was that MOL didn't accept an image file bigger
than 2GB, which is barely enough for a 10.2 install.

  -Christian