OS/X can ping, ftp, telnet, but not ssh, http

Kent West mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 09:35:04 -0500

Kent West wrote:

> I've just installed MOL on Debian, along with Mac OS/9 and OS/X. Got
> networking working fairly easily on OS/9, but had trouble with OS/X,
> but with help from this list thought I had it all working.
>
> Now I find that I can ping, and telnet, and ftp from OS/X to anywhere,
> but I can't ssh or use a web browser (Safari and Mozilla). It just
> sits there looking . . . .

To simplify things, I've shutdown OS/9 (which works fine) and am
concentrating on OS/X.

In a related thread ("macosx last version network problem") was the
suggestion to comment out the sheep-related lines in
"/etc/mol/molrc.net". I shut down OS/X and made that change, then
restarted OS/X. Still the same symptoms: I can ping and telnet and ftp,
but can't ssh, scp, browse using a web browser (safari, mozilla), use
email (Apple's Mail applet, Mozilla Mail, etc). I can use safari and
mozilla to ftp to ftp.netscape.com (moz opens the site in the window;
safari mounts a "drive" for the site).

It's like there's a firewall blocking outgoing traffic except on a few
ports, but I'm not finding any such options via the OS/X gui, and I
don't know what to look for in the CLI.

--
Kent