Network with MOL

Jessica Blank mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 01:36:36 -0600 (MDT)

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003, Douglas Phillipson wrote:

> Has anyone got networking to work under OS/X on MOL?  I'm just not

Yes. :)

> making any progress on it...  If so here are some questions:

And here are some answers... hopefully, they'll help ^_^ If not, err...
I'm here.

> 1) How is the OS/X tcpip configured when booted in OS/X natively (Not
> with MOL)

MOL includes a small volume of drivers and such for OS X (and a similar
one for OS 9 and earlier). In the case of OS X, this collection includes:

* An ethernet driver
-and-
* A sound driver

...both packaged in a nice, neat .pkg.

Once you install it, a new ethernet device (on my system, it was called
"en1"; your title may vary) appears when you next open the Network
preference pane in System Preferences. From there on in, it should be
easy, so long as you know what you're getting into on the Linux side of
things... (see below)

> 2) How is Linux TCPIP configured?

Make sure your kernel has the following features compiled in and/or loaded
as modules:

* ip_tables
* ip_conntrack
* ipt_MASQUERADE
* iptable_filter
* iptable_net
* tun

Additionally, just in case, I loaded:

* ip_nat_ftp
* ipt_REDIRECT
* ipt_MIRROR

The complete output of my lsmod is below:

fangorn:~# lsmod
ipt_REDIRECT            1008   0  (unused)
ipt_MIRROR              1472   0  (unused)
ip_nat_ftp              3328   0  (unused)
ip_conntrack_ftp        4240   1
iptable_filter          1888   0  (unused)
ipt_MASQUERADE          1664   0  (unused)
iptable_nat            16756   1  [ipt_REDIRECT ip_nat_ftp ipt_MASQUERADE]
ip_conntrack           20732   2  [ipt_REDIRECT ip_nat_ftp
ip_conntrack_ftp ipt_MASQUERADE iptable_nat]
ip_tables              14128   7  [ipt_REDIRECT ipt_MIRROR iptable_filter
ipt_MASQUERADE iptable_nat]
fangorn:~#

> 3) Do you see any configurable options in the "Network" app in OS/X
> under MOL. (Mine are ghosted:   Built-in Ethernet)

You will, once you set up the MOL Ethernet driver by installing the nifty
.pkg file included on the MOL volume :)

> 4) What should the /etc/mol/molrc.net look like?

Mine only has one line that isn't a comment, or commented out:

netdev:         tun${session} -tun

I also edited /etc/mol/tunconfig and turned off PROVIDE_DHCP and
DNS_REDIRECT, and commented out NAMESERVER (I use a 'real' nameserver on
the Mac OS X virtualized-machine...

> My G4 networking (Static addresses) stuff seems fine booted in Linux or
> OS/X but when runningOS/X under MOL it won't work.

Hope the above helps.