Old World booting on New World Mac?

Samuel Rydh mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 15:29:23 +0100

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 08:17:59PM -0800, Dara Hazeghi wrote:
> well I still can't seem to get MacOS 8.1 booting. Are
> there others out there who are using old versions of
> MacOS on newer Macs (ie newer than are supported by
> the old OS)? If so, were there any special tricks to
> the trade? Thanks,

It appears as if your CPU generates an 'illegal instruction'
trap rather than a 'privileged instruction' exception for some
of the mtspr HID operations. If this is indeed the case,
then MOL should be taught about this behaviour (easily done).

It would be a big help if you could examine what the SRR0
and SRR1 registers contain after the first jump to 0xfff007xx.
I would also like to now what processor/rev you have
(cat /proc/cpuinfo).

Regards,

/Samuel