mol OSX sound

Samuel Rydh mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 10:45:37 +0100

On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 08:25:41PM -0800, Brett Carter wrote:
> Hi, I'm running mol 0.9.69 on a tibook dvi.  I've got two questions:
>
> I can get sound to work if I use the dmasound_pmac oss driver, but the
> alsa driver using oss emulation just plays static for any sounds comming
> from OSX.

The OSX audio driver has severe real-time requirements.
In order to fulfill them, MOL uses a very small sound
fragment (256 bytes). The OSS emulation mode probably does
not support this.

An native ALSA mode is planned, as well as an aRts mode (if
possible, I don't know if aRts can fulfill the real-time
requirements).

> Also, I can no longer boot os9 for some reason; mol boots up, but then I get
> this error message:
> >> Mac-on-Linux OpenFirmware 0.9.12
> >> ea_to_phys: no translation for 0000002a, using 1-1
> >> ea_to_phys: no translation for fffffffc, using 1-1
> >> ea_to_phys: no translation for 6000000c, using 1-1
>
> Has anybody ran into this before?

Well, I'm not sure but I believe this is the old HFS bug
in a new shape. The HFS loader used to be in MOL proper
but is nowdays in the OF loader which is run within MOL.

/Samuel