Kernel Headers problem... recompiling?

Simon Urbanek mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Mon, 12 May 2003 10:31:34 +0200

--Apple-Mail-2--740832999

On Sunday, May 11, 2003, at 07:50  PM, Adam Done wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-09-24 at 20:25, sanjuanio@mac.com wrote:
>
> Mol is installed on Linux 2.4.19-4a. no problems. 2001 ibook.
>
> when i "startmol -a" in terminal, I get the following error message:
>
> /usr/lib/mol/0.9.65/modules/2.4.19/mol.o: unresolved symbol
> find_vmg_R4dfd872b
>
> /usr/lib/mol/0.9.65/modules/2.4.19/mol.o: unresolved symbol
> force_sig_R56n9040d
>
> /usr/lib/mol/0.9.65/modules/2.4.19/mol.o: unresolved symbol
> mem_map_Re009ab4d
>
> and it then suggests that I recompile.  I am a newbie and did not
> actually install this using root, but rather by double clicking on the
> rpms.  I would greatly appreciate if anyone can tell me how to=20
> recompile
> in simple terms and steps.
>
> also, it appears to me that the problem is that the "Running Kernel" =
is
> 2.4.19-4a although the closest available model is 2.4.19, without the
> -4a. is this an accurate diagnosis, and if so, how do i change the
> kernel headers? can i login to pico and just take the -4a off in some
> file?
>
> very eager to find resolution as it seems that I am one step away from
> success here.
>
> thanks.
>
> Hello,
>
> I have been haveing the same issues in trying to compile my mol kernel=20=

> modules...=A0 Did you find the answer on how to correct the unreloved=20=

> symbol?=A0 I have been looking for answers and can not find them my=20
> self.=A0
>
> I am runing a custom kernel and can not get the correct headers.
That's bad. You must use the correct kernel sources, because if there=20
is a structure/function which changed in the new kernel, no module can=20=

know of this given the wrong kernel sources. It has nothing to do with=20=

the version number (that can be changed easily in=20
include/linux/version.h but that won't help).

If you need to compile modules (such as mol) I always recommend=20
compiling your own kernel, because it solves a lot of problems with=20
"custom" kernels.

The question is why you need a "custom" kernel where there are no=20
sources? Simply get another kernel or ask the author of your "custom"=20
for patches to some regular kernel (normally they exist on the net).

If there is really no other way, you can look up the functions by hand=20=

and see what they do and how they can be replaced - but that works only=20=

in very, very few cases.

Cheers,
Simon

<excerpt>On Tue, 2002-09-24 at 20:25, sanjuanio@mac.com wrote:

Linux 2.4.19-4a. no problems. 2001 ibook.

when i "startmol -a" in terminal, I get the following error message:

/usr/lib/mol/0.9.65/modules/2.4.19/mol.o: unresolved symbol=20

find_vmg_R4dfd872b

/usr/lib/mol/0.9.65/modules/2.4.19/mol.o: unresolved symbol=20

force_sig_R56n9040d

/usr/lib/mol/0.9.65/modules/2.4.19/mol.o: unresolved symbol=20

mem_map_Re009ab4d

and it then suggests that I recompile.  I am a newbie and did not=20

actually install this using root, but rather by double clicking on the=20=

rpms.  I would greatly appreciate if anyone can tell me how to
recompile=20

in simple terms and steps.

also, it appears to me that the problem is that the "Running Kernel"
is=20

2.4.19-4a although the closest available model is 2.4.19, without the=20

-4a. is this an accurate diagnosis, and if so, how do i change the=20

kernel headers? can i login to pico and just take the -4a off in some=20

file?

very eager to find resolution as it seems that I am one step away from=20=

success here.

Hello,

I have been haveing the same issues in trying to compile my mol kernel
modules...=A0 Did you find the answer on how to correct the unreloved
symbol?=A0 I have been looking for answers and can not find them my
self.=A0

I am runing a custom kernel and can not get the correct headers.

</excerpt>That's bad. You must use the correct kernel sources, because
if there is a structure/function which changed in the new kernel, no
module can know of this given the wrong kernel sources. It has nothing
to do with the version number (that can be changed easily in
include/linux/version.h but that won't help).

If you need to compile modules (such as mol) I always recommend
compiling your own kernel, because it solves a lot of problems with
"custom" kernels.

The question is why you need a "custom" kernel where there are no
sources? Simply get another kernel or ask the author of your "custom"
for patches to some regular kernel (normally they exist on the net).

If there is really no other way, you can look up the functions by hand
and see what they do and how they can be replaced - but that works
only in very, very few cases.

Cheers,

Simon

--Apple-Mail-2--740832999--