on/off topic

Mark S. Mathews mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Mon, 12 May 2003 17:04:45 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Folks,

Awhile back, via this list, I determined that my MOL setup was broken
because of my filesystem choice (UFS) when installing osx.  I suppose this
means I need to reinstall osx using HFS to get my MOL setup working right.

Here's the kicker....I'd _really_ like to avoid having to reinstall Linux.
I'm running deb unstable with lotsa tweaks that took me a long time to get
right.

Oh yes, there's a question in all of this:  Is there a procedure for
reinstalling osx that won't overwrite my OF settings (something I'm almost
totally clueless about), won't touch my linux partitions, and will work ok
w/ my yaboot multi-boot settings?

Or, am I just screwed and need to rebuild the machine from scratch?

Thanks,
-M

PS: Some system info would probably be useful:

Market Model:           Apple PowerBook G4 1GHz
System Info: (reported by OSX System Profiler)
Software Overview:
        System Version: Mac OS X 10.2.1 (6e62)
        Boot volume:    <empty>
        Kernel version: Darwin Kernel Version 6.1 ......
        User name:      <omitted>
Hardware Overview:
        Machine speed:  1GHz
        Bus speed:      133Mz
        # Processors:   1
        L2 Cache size:  256K
        L3 Cache size:  1MB
        Machine Model:  PowerBook3,5 (version=3.2)
        Boot ROM Info:  4.5.3f2
Memory Overview:
        Location                Type    Size
        S0DIMM0/J16TOP          SDRAM   256MB
        S0DIMM1/J16BOTTOM       SDRAM   256MB

--

Mark S. Mathews

AbsoluteValue Systems      Web:    http://www.linux-wlan.com
715-D North Drive          e-mail: mark@linux-wlan.com
Melbourne, FL 32934        Phone:  321.259.0737
USA                        Fax:    321.259.0286