Network working..by hand (WAS: Re: on/off topic (fwd))

Mark S. Mathews mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Wed, 21 May 2003 11:45:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 21 May 2003, Samuel Rydh wrote:

> On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 03:12:57PM -0400, Mark S. Mathews wrote:
> > Ok,
> >
> > I've managed to get the network i/f under OSX running but only after doing
> > a kextload by hand.
> >
> > Any hints on getting OSX to do this at boot-time?
> >
> They should load automatically. How did you install them?

I thought they should load automagically.  Just aint happening.

I installed them using the installer package from the groovy virtual
filesystem you've got in there (very cool BTW).

One thing I noted, the README in the virtual fs states that the fs only
shows up when the drivers are out of date or not installed.  Well, the fs
appears at every boot.  I don't know if that's indicative of anything.

> One thing you could try is rebuilding the mkext cache
> by doing '/usr/sbin/kextcache -e -L' as root (if the date
> stamps are wrong, the mkext cache might not be
> rebuilt automatically).

Hmmm, doesn't seem to help.

I ran it w/ -v3 and got these messages:

kextcache: skipping bundle /System/Library/Extensions/MolAudioDevice.kext;
no OSBundleRequired key (still checking plugins)

kextcache: skipping bundle /System/Library/Extensions/MolEnet.kext;
OSBundleRequired key is "Network-Root" (still checking plugins)

I'm not much of a BSD or OSX person, so I have no idea what these mean.
;-)

Thanks,
-M

--

Mark S. Mathews

AbsoluteValue Systems      Web:    http://www.linux-wlan.com
715-D North Drive          e-mail: mark@linux-wlan.com
Melbourne, FL 32934        Phone:  321.259.0737
USA                        Fax:    321.259.0286