Network fine on OS9, but not on X

Kent West mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Thu, 22 May 2003 12:42:36 -0500

Jens Schmalzing wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Kent West writes:
>

>>I've gotten networking to work (both Appletalk and TCP/IP via DHCP) by
>>installing dhcpd.  But OS/X doesn't seem to recognize the tunX
>>interface.
>>

>[...]
>

>>Mac OS/X 's "Network" preference [...] has only one entry: "Built-in
>>Ethernet", but it's grayed out,
>>

>If you are running Mac OS X in mol for the first time, you need to
>install some extra kernel extensions.  There should be an already
>mounted disk image with a package.
>
>Regards, Jens.

Ahh, that was easy enough. I had seen the "MOL-Install" icon on the
desktop, but was afraid to double-click on it without knowing what it
was, and getting my network working was of higher priority to me than
researching what the icon was. Go fgure, huh.

That didn't immediately give me networking, but it did give me the
ethernet interface within OS/X. From there I was able to do some
tweaking; don't know exactly what I did to get things right, but now I
have networking on both OS/9 and OS/X while they're both running at the
same time. Sweet.

Thanks!

--
Kent