Mol 0.9.68 Resolution...

Juan Carlos Guel Lopez mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Mon, 26 May 2003 15:03:09 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Mol-Users...

For the past 4th months i've been a happy user of MOL with

Imac ilamp 15'', PowerG4, 256 MB RAM, 700 MHZ, Geforce 2MX(32MB) and
MacOSX 10.2.6

Now i'm using YDL 3.0. I have a lot of questions concerning the use and
resolution.

Two weeks ago I decided to install YDL 3.0, before that I'was using ydl
2.3 with no problems with MOL. everything worked well, resolution,
network, etc.

After YDL-3.0 instalation I notice some problems using MOL, molvconfig
doesn't let me use more than 8 bits depth. Trying to figure out what was
happening I found this.

YDL comes with Kernel 2.4.20d, I think it's not working properly.

When i put ddcprobe display this..

- -------------------------
Videocard DDC probe results
Memory (MB):  16         -----------------check this....

Monitor DDC probe results
ID: APP229c
Name: Apple iMac LCD 15
Horizontal Sync (kHZ): 28-49
Vertical Sync (HZ)  : 60-60
Width (mm): 300
Height(mm): 230
- ------------------------------

Moreover the screen looks 1.5 cms to the right, this is easy to solve
putting on the XF86config this line

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Card0"
        BusID           "PCI:0:16:0"
        Option          "DPMS"
        Option          "FlatPanel" "true"   ----> this line
        Option          "CrtcNumber"    "1"
        Driver          "nv"

Well after that MOL runs only with very poor quality.

I'm decided to work more closely on this and found this.

I recompile two kernels, 2.4.20-10-benh and 2.4.21-rc2 and found a
interesting function on console Options(kernel configuration) and it says
NVIDIA frame buffer, I put on, and recompile both Kernels....

After that this what ddcprobe says...

- -------------------------------
Videocard DDC probe results
Memory (MB):  32       -----Now Detects the appropiate Amount of Memory !!

Monitor DDC probe results
ID: APP229c
Name: Apple iMac LCD 15
Horizontal Sync (kHZ): 28-49
Vertical Sync (HZ)  : 60-60
Width (mm): 300
Height(mm): 230
- ---------------------------------
Using Both kernels I decide to recompile mol..

Now with this two kernels molvconfig letme configure 8,15 and 24 modes and
the resolution is better. But, when I load startmol -x says this...

Video driver(s): [xvideo] [X11-dga]

       0*   0, depth 0   { 0.0 } Hz
     640* 480, depth 8,32   { 0.0 } Hz
     800* 600, depth 8,32   { 0.0 } Hz
    1024* 768, depth 8,32   { 0.0 } Hz
    1152* 864, depth 8,32   { 0.0 } Hz
    1280*1024, depth 8,32   { 0.0 } Hz
    1600*1200, depth 8,32   { 0.0 } Hz

Ethernet Interface 'tun-<tun0>' @ 00:00:0D:EA:DB:EE

    CD   /dev/cdrom       CD-ROM         <read-only>   ------
    Disk /dev/hda                        <rw> 39073 MB
No volumes found in '/dev/sda'

Still using poor quality much better than the kernel 2.4.20-8d.

When I try to change resolution on macOSX on preferences closes inmediatly
the option...so I can't run my MacosX On Linux with good quality and
resolution...I guess i'm using 256 colors

Everything else worked well, network, audio, etc...

does anybody has the same problem using this,???

Yesterday I decided to install MOL-0.9.69 rsync edition, but still the
same....

So It's not a problem of version....maybe akernel buffer problem which was
solved, resolution on X11 on YDL is solved, now I think it-s MOL
configuration, drivers...

Any Idea???

Saludos
- --JC GUEL