remote mol-sessions with X-windows or vnc.

Peter Åstrand mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Sun, 19 Oct 2003 21:11:37 +0200

Andy Baxter wrote:

>> vncviewer -- Xvnc -- MOL
>>
>> The clients were running vncviewer. Xvnc was running on an Intel
>> Linux server. The MOL:s were running on a Mac with Mandrake Linux.
>> MacOS X 1.0.1 was running in MOL.
>

> I don't understand how you have Xvnc running on a different machine to
> the MOL machine. Does the Mac export an x display to the intel machine
> with xdmcp which then sends it out to the clients using vnc? Does this
> setup help reduce the load on the Mac? Could you give some details of
> how this is set up? (Just enough so I can understand what you've done -

The user starts a VNC session on the Intel machine, and then uses SSH to
the Mac to start up the MOL session. It works with SSH X11 forward, as
well as with just changing DISPLAY and transferring magic cookies.

(The main reason why we didn't run Xvnc on the same host is that we are
actually using our thin client product ThinLinc (www.thinlinc.com),
which currently only supports Intel platforms.)

--
Peter Åstrand 		OpenSource-based Thin Client Technology
Cendio Systems 		www.thinlinc.com