"Big" disk image problem with current Debian version

Derrik Pates mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 22:30:21 -0500

The current version of Mac-on-Linux in Debian sid works fine with
smaller disk images - I can run MacOS 9.x fine (I have it in a 768MB
disk image). It also boots MacOS X from CD just fine, as long as the
disk image is small. However, it needs at least 2 GB of disk to install,
so I figured I could install it in a 2 GB disk image. However, I came to
discover this doesn't work.

First, I tried making it _exactly_ 2 GB (dd if=/dev/zero of=imagefile
bs=1024k count=2048) - MOL spat out errors about value too large for
defined datatype, and didn't give any size value. MacOS X saw the disk
as size 0 in that case. Sigh.

Remade the disk image with 2000 1MB blocks instead of 2048 (no largefile
support, obviously :/). Started MOL with the OS X CD in the drive, it
goes and does its little spinny thing during the startup, changes video
modes, and *blam* black window and lots of:

Unmapped 'RAM-read-access', 55555555
Unmapped 'RAM-read-access', 55555555
Unmapped RAM-write-access, 55555561
Unmapped RAM-write-access, 55555555
Unmapped RAM-write-access, 55555565
Unmapped RAM-write-access, 55555571
Unmapped RAM-write-access, 555555d9
Unmapped RAM-write-access, 555555d5
Unmapped RAM-write-access, 555555dd
Unmapped RAM-write-access, 555555e1

and so on, and so forth. I tried using an image of the CD to boot from
to do the install, and got the same net result (slightly different
addresses). I'm surprised it doesn't have largefile support, so that big
disk images can be handled - but even then, what can we do about the
unmapped access errors? Any ideas? I can probably hack in largefile
support, but I don't know the inner secrets of handling the virtual disk
stuff, so me hacking in largefile support would only be a small part of
the answer.

--
Derrik Pates
dpates@dsdk12.net