MoL and iTunes playback

Chris Abiad mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 10:19:44 -0500

First up, I wanted to say thanks for MoL.  The damn thing works at
nearly native speeds on my iBook/600MHz.  I've used VMWare (to run Win32
under Linux) before and OSX under MoL completely rocks it.

My real goal here is to continue to use iTunes as a music player while
using Linux as my regular environment.  Has anyone got this working with
acceptable levels of jitter?  Maybe I should just switch to Rhythmbox
(www.rhythmbox.org), but I'd miss the rendezvous playlist sharing and
being able to browse iTMS.

I'm using MoL 0.69 and the 2.4.23-pre5-ben0 kernel (which unfortunately
doesn't work with the stock kernel-preempt patch) with MoL modules
compiled from source.  I've set "max_sound_rate: 22050" in
/etc/mol/molrc.osx and given MoL 256MB of RAM (I have 640MB).  I still
have a lot of playback jitter in nearly all circumstances.

Are there speedup tricks I'm still missing?

Can I upgrade my kernel to 2.6 and keep using MoL?

Is there a preempt patch for 2.4.23-pre5-ben0?

Thanks,
chris