Unresolved symbols against stock kernel

Samuel Rydh mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 14:12:48 +0200

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 08:04:26AM +0200, softwatch wrote:
> I've been using the RPM version of MOL on YDL 2.3 with no problems.
> I'm now trying to use the dev branch. I followed the instruction, seached
> the list and tried eveything I can think of, but I still get a list of
> unresolved symbols (misc_deregister, handle_mm_fault, force_sig...) when
> trying to load MOL. I want to have a binary running with the stock kernel
> (2.4.20-8d) like the RPM does.
>
> Is it a problem with the kernel sources? Any idea how to fix that?

Yes. The problem is one of the following:

- You are compiling MOL using a different kernel source than
was used when your kernel was build.

- The kernel source you are using is the correct one but
it is not configured as your running kernel.

- The correct kernel source is used and it is properly configured,
but due to sloppy dependency tracking in the kernel build system,
a 'make mrproper' and a 'make dep' might be necessary
to get things working properly. In this case, it is probably
necessary to rebuild the kernel after the 'make mrproper'.
(You can ignore this point since a vendor kernel is used,
but I include it for the record).

If you have installed the kernel headers rpm corresponding
to the vendor kernel and if you are certain MOL uses
these headers, then complain to the distro people.
Quite a few distros ship with broken kernel headers (or
one has to hop through nonstandard loops to build
functioning modules which I consider is equally broken)...

Of course, you can also make life simple and roll your own
kernel...

/Samuel