Networking notworking

Nathanael Hasbrouck mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 22:05:01 -0500

On Wednesday 31 March 2004 1437, somebody named dotto@uchicago.edu
inscribed this message:
> Hello,
>
> I have been working for a while to get networking running on my Tibook
> IV, running Debian sid and a 2.6.3 benh kernel. I have compiled
> TUN_CONFIG=m, and I think the drivers have been installed (I no longer
> get the Mol disk image in OSX).  I think I've done everything right, but
> when I try to DHCP in OSX, I get this IP: 169.254.12.86, and no
> connection. I even try the manual DHCP where I put in the Ip and DNS,
> but still get nothing. I get a tun0 device when I run ifconfig: but it
> has inet addr:192.168.40.1 Bcast:192.168.40.225. I put these in, and
> they don't work either. My only guess right now is that I need to
> configure ipmasq and dnsmasq better. I remember going through a little
> config when I did the apt-get for them, which were relating to firewalls
> and such (can you tell I'm a n00b yet?).

No, of course not! ;^)  If you want to reconfigure ipmasq or dnsmasq, run
'dpkg-reconfigure <packagename>' and that will give you the options again.
I have my ipmasq set to recompute rules after ppp link is brought up or
down and to run at boot after network interfaces are brought up.

> Does anyone know if I could have done something wrong there, and
> if so, how do I reconfigure it right?

I don't think you've done anything wrong so far, you just haven't got a
step. :^)  I think you need ipmasq (and maybe dnsmasq, I dunno because I'm
not using it) to recompute it's rules after MOL starts.  To check, run
'iptables -L' (as root) you'll see all the rules for the NAT/firewalling
that ipmasq sets up for you.  Now start MOL and after it's started up go
back to a Linux shell and run 'ipmasq' and try 'iptables -L' again.  It
should have added some rules to allow 192.168.40.1 address or similar
(whatever tun0 is according to ifconfig).  That's what mine does anyway.
If that fixes things, you can have MOL tell ipmasq to recompute the rules
automagically when MOL starts by putting

echo "ipmasq recomputing..."
/etc/init.d/ipmasq restart

into the /etc/mol/tunconfig script.  I put mine at the end of the
'Configure interface' section, just before the closing bracket for that
section.

Hope this helps,

NRH
--
The best thing about Public Radio is the Classical Music.  At least Bach
and Shostakovich don't have a bias.