questions about what MOL supports; live CD?

Samuel Rydh mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Thu, 1 Apr 2004 20:30:16 +0200

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 08:30:17AM -0500, Kurt Steinkraus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been looking at the MOL web pages, and I have a question about
> how MOL supports hardware.

> Specifically, it's not clear if the DVD player, iSync, iTunes ripping
> capabilities, and other similar things work under MOL. Do they?

Apple's DVD player does not work since it requires a accelerated video driver
(well, it requires a video driver with support for hardware overlays).

The DVD unit itself is fully functioning. Burning and all other operations
are fully supported. In fact, it is possible to play DVD movies using
non-Apple players (although performance is not optimal since there is no
hardware overlay).

> Or is the MOL VM isolated from the underlying hardware in
> the same way that VMware does it?

Yes, MOL is completely isolated from the underlying hardware. However,
supports a fair number of devices these days (generic USB, CD/DVDs, generic
SCSI).

/Samuel