MOL 0.9.70 on non-OF machine

Eric Haines mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Sun, 11 Apr 2004 14:44:52 -0400

On Sunday 11 April 2004 01:57, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I built MOL 0.9.70 for a PPC machine that lacks OpenFirmware.
>
> To allow the mol kernel module to link, I modified the
> find_physical_rom() function in src/kmod/Linux/dev.c to return a 0.
>
> MOL loads fine, but when it starts to boot any MacOS system I get the
> final message:
>
> < .. >
> MacOnLinux OpenFirmware <version>
>
> and then it locks the machine up hard.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Regards,
>
> Ross..

I did the same thing, and got the same result.  A week or two ago I tried
0.9.71-pre1, and got compile errors, which I fixed by editing the
/usr/include/linux/netlink.h file so that after the first two lines:

#ifndef __LINUX_NETLINK_H
#define __LINUX_NETLINK_H

I inserted these two lines:

#include <linux/types.h>
typedef unsigned long kernel_ulong_t;

I guess this is fixed with newer versions of the kernel?  Anyway, it compiled
fine after that but still doesn't work.  At least it doesn't lock the machine
hard, but it doesn't get as far, either.  startmol --test works fine, but
startmol just gives me a blank white screen; it doesn't start booting
anything.

--Eric