Newbie questions

Eric Haines mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 09:42:03 -0400

On Friday 27 August 2004 08:09, Steve Roy wrote:
> On Aug 27, 2004, at 4:04 AM, Bill Fink wrote:
> > yum install kernel-source
>
> Thank you, I figured out this bit last night and was able to run
> rpmbuild on the mol-kmods src rpm. I rebooted and thought I was home
> free at this point, but MOL still won't start:
>
> # startmol --loadonly
> /usr/lib/mol/0.9.70/bin/mol: error while loading shared libraries:
> libasound.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory
>
> Googling for this, I found that libasound is part of ALSA, but there is
> no package available for ALSA according to yum. Seeing this I tried
> 'startmol -a --loadonly' but the same message as above came up. I think
> I'm really stuck now. What do I do?
>
> Steve

Use rpmseek.com, which is a good resource for things like that.  Put in
"libasound.so.2" in the search box...it won't find a package called that, so
next to "which package contains this file", click on "go", which results in a
number of packages that contain the file...alsa-lib would probably be a good
choice, so click on that and download one of the rpms, choosing a ppc version
of course.

--Eric