Newbie questions

Steve Roy mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 14:31:01 -0400

On Aug 26, 2004, at 1:37 PM, Steve Roy wrote:

> Now I'm not sure what to do. I think I should recompile the MOL kernel
> modules. But the MOL user guide (which mentions it's obsolete
> information) says that the symlink /lib/modules/2.4.22-2g/build is
> used to find the kernel headers, and this symlink points to
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.22-2g, which doesn't exist on my machine. The only
> directory in /usr/src is rpm. Is it because I didn't do a src install
> of YDL? I did a workstation install.

After some more research, I figured out that I'm missing the
kernel-headers package. I don't see it on any of the three YDL 3.0.1
CDs. Where do I get it?

> Nevertheless, I figured maybe it's just because the MOL user guide
> instructions are obsolete, so I downloaded mol-kmods-0.9.70.src.rpm,
> but I'm supposed to do a 'rpm --rebuild' on it, and I get:
> --rebuild: unknown option

I also figured out with this one that I have to do 'rpmbuild --rebuild'
instead. However now it complains that the kernel source directory
'/usr/src/linux' doesn't exist, and that I should set KERNEL_SOURCE, so
if I can figure out where to get the kernel-headers package (see
above), I should be fine.

Steve

--
Steve Roy <sroy@roydesign.net>