Odd login errors.

Quentin Mason mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:35:55 -0500 (EST)

Peter,

I am not sure what your general login problem is, but I do not think that
it is related to Mathemtica.  [Are you logging in locally or is your
laptop autheticating to something else -- I guess you are in an edu given
you use mathematica].  Although I have not got mathematica in OSX (still
on OS8.6 and more of a maple user) it does not surprise me as I have had
problems with Mathematica on i686 laptops and changing ethernet cards.

Look at the recent messages about MAC (hardware ethernet) address, tun and
iTunes.  Mathematica seeds its ID (and hence license) from your MAC (you
can check this by changing your MAC(s) by eg adding a pcmcia ethernet
controller and asking mathematica what your new "ID" is) -- MOL does NOT
get the original MAC because linux is using it and the way that
virtualised networking works.  If necassary you can contact mathematica
and give them the MAC address (ie the new ID that mathematica gets using
your new MAC as a seed) for Panther inside MOL and tell them it comes from
your "recently purchased wireless card" and they should give you another
license to use inside MOL (I know this works on lintel laptops).  I
believe that there is some facility for changing the MAC addresses given
to Panther, if necassary by changing the code and re-compiling.  There are
lists of which MAC's go with which manufacturers of ethernet/wireless
ethernet cards -- you may want to give Panther one of those so Mathematica
(very picky bastards who make overly expensive software IMHO) will not get
too suspicious -- I am not sure whether they can back-track these things.

Good luck,

Q.

PS: atleast one of the mathematica releases was available for ppc-linux
though I do not remember which -- I have a feeling they stopped when OSX
came out.