MOL & kernels

Geert Janssens mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Sat, 14 Feb 2004 13:41:03 +0100

Mike 'Lew' Lamar wrote:
> So then I find a source copy of kernel 2.4.22-ben2 along with the
> necessary patch, and I build this
> one from source.  I'm thinking that this is pretty cool that I can
> select the modules that I'm going
> to use, and this is what Linux is supposed to be all about.  Well I get
> it built and installed, and it
> won't boot either.  My machine hangs on the part where it is 'checking
> for new hardware'.
> Strike 2.

This is not the kernel that is failing, but Kudzu, a service that is
started at boot time to detect newly installed hardware at boot time.
I'm under the impression that kudzu is not fully stable yet on all ppc
machines. The yellowdog-general list quite often has messages claiming
boot hangs at this point.

You could try to disable this service via the KDE menu - System Settings
- Server Settings - Services.

Of course, since this is a custom compiled kernel, you still will have
to rebuild the kernel modules that come with mol, to match this new kernel.

They come in a separate source rpm, so this shouldn't be too difficult.

> OK, maybe there's another one that will work.  So I find kernel
> 2.4.24-ben1-tss from ppckernel.org,
> and I download and install it.  This one boots and seems to work. Now I
> can't run MOL, because
> it is expecting that I run from kernel 2.4.22, not 2.4.24.  The message
> from MOL suggests that I
> recompile the mol-kmods.  Well I get some compile errors, and this one
> won't work either.
> Foul ball, still strike 2.

We could help with the compile errors (some are quite obvious and easy
to resolve by installing the correct libraries or headers), but we need
more info then.

What errors did you encounter ?

Geert