sharing mp3 between mol and linux:solution

erik mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Sun, 4 Jan 2004 15:07:52 +0100

Hello,

I installed OggCarton under mac os 10.2.8. This is a open source app
with a streaming sound server. It's in beta stage but until now I
haven't had serious  trouble listening to the music (working with mol
or ydl).  It's a solution for  listening  to music (mp3 ogg vorbis )
saved on a mac partition without consuming a lot of processor power.

(info)
------------
I run mac os 10.2.8 and ydl 3.0.1. I updated from 10.2.2 with the
update .dmg. I also updated java.  I start mol in the console before
starting startx. I can switch between mol and ydl by pressing "fn ctrl
option F7" (mol) and "fn ctrl option F8 (ydl).

I have a 600 mhz ibook with 640 mb and this solution runs using less
then 10 % (mol + xmms) of the processor power available.

The music goes on while using mol. If you boot mac os x you have a
streaming audio server for the entire internal network. If you
configure (virtual hosts) your router you have an audio server for the
whole world.
-------------

  The steps for installation are:

- download OggCarton     http://oggcarton.sourceforge.net/
- install OggCarton
- start OggCarton
- choose webserver
- choose "Add IP"
- choose the option to serve the internal network (this is actualy the
pc with mol and linux)
- put a cd in your cd-rom player
- choose 'Rip" from the startscreen (there is a litle bug in OggCarton,
it looks like it hangs on the first track while it is actually has go
on with the next tracks)
- during the ripping proces a directory is add to your own
mac-directory and a db is generated.
-  You can add your mp3 and ogg files to this directory
- choose "Import Files" and chose the files you want to add. There is a
limit to the files you can add at once so the advice is not to add more
than five albums at a time (a java error appears saying that  to many
files are open)
- choose "Web Server"
- start server

The server side is ready

Now you can switch to linux (fn option  ctr F8), open a browser and go
http://192.168.2.2:52160/

A menu appears. You can, out of the entire music collection, randomly
choose 100 numbers at a time, make a selection based and search
arguments etc. etc.

Use xmms (/usr/bin/xmms) to open the file and the music start. Under
the advance buttom of Mozilla you can choose to start all .m3u  files
with xmms without any further warning or questions.

Until now I haven't been abel to run it with safari because I can't
find out the procedure to stop the autolaunching of iTunes. ITunes
doesn't  work with OggCarton.  The makers of OggCarton advice to use
Audion 3 but I can't get it autolaunched. Audion itself looks like a
great audio player that supports every common codec. It is very easy to
install. If someone knows how to disable the autolaunch of iTunes,
please let me know. The option in Audion 3 to disable the auto
launching of iTunes doesn't work.

The only problem is that sometimes the virtual nic 192.168.2.2 goes
down. I think this is a bug of mol and has nothing to do with
OggCarton. An other reason can be that I have mp3 on a bitrate of 320
kb. Maybe that is to much for the virtual nic (from 192.168.2.2 to the
virtual router 192.168.2.1 to the real nic on 192.168.1.x)

It's has become a long story but I hope this info wil be usefull for
those who where looking for a way to run music together with mol.

With friendly regards,

Erik de Wild