desperate to install

Nathanael Hasbrouck mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Tue, 6 Jan 2004 14:17:51 -0500

On Saturday 03 January 2004 08:12, Philippe van Calsteren wrote:
> Hello Ted
>
> I didnt mention i was running it on a Intel machine.
> Do you think Intel and Macontosh the only computers on this earth ?
>
> On 01/06/04, you wrote:
> > I think that you must be some sort of computer genius...if you are
> > running it on an Intel machine.
> >
> > On Friday 07 August 2009 06:12, Philippe van Calsteren wrote:
> >> Hello Ted
> >>
> >> Then how does it come i haven't got a Macintosh and i can run MOL ?

Just to help clarify things here - MOL does not require a Macintosh.  It
requires a PPC processor.  This includes Macs (which are probably the
largest, or at least best known, subset of PPC machines), the Pegasos boards,
and quite a few other machines, some IBM servers, I think (RS 6000 series and
the like).  As stated before, though, MOL will *not* run on PC (Intel/AMD/x86
compatible) hardware.  MOL doesn't actually emulate the instruction set, I
believe it mostly just provides an interface layer under the guest OS and
runs instructions natively on the processor.  (You can probably find more on
this if you search the list archives, there have been a bunch of different
'can I run it on my PC?' type threads which may have gone into more detail.)

NRH
--
Computers are like air conditioners. Both stop working, if you open windows. -
Adam Heath