Installing mol driver kills MacOS X 10.2.8

Christian Ordig mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Fri, 4 Jun 2004 20:38:06 +0200

--ReaqsoxgOBHFXBhH

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 10:53:18AM +0200, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
> Christian Ordig writes:
>=20
> > I tried running mol 0.9.70. Everything was fine until I=20
> > installed the mol drivers in OS 10.2.8 running in mol.
> > First problem I got was an out of memory error when trying to=20
> > start mol. (even with --ram=3D32) (boot loader: Out of memory)
>=20
> > Then I tried to boot into OSX natively again, and there I noticed
> > the second problem: I get the grey apple for some seconds and then
> > instead of the rotating thing, I get a grey crossed circle in the
> > center of the screen :-(
>=20
> Just to make sure what happened:
>=20
> You booted Mac OS X in mol.  That worked fine, then you installed the
> drivers.  That looked like it worked as well, but on the next boot of
> Mac OS X in mol, you got the "boot loader: Oom" message.  You tried
> that several times with different parameters, same outcome.  So you
> rebooted from Linux into Mac OS X and got the dreaded no-parking sign.
right.
=20
> Anyway, what has probably happened is that the driver installation
> failed and left corrupted kernel extensions in your System folder.
> First thing you should try is to delete the files MolEnet.kext and
> MolAudioDevice.kext from the folder /System/Library/Extensions. =20
that's what I've already done after some further unsuccessful booting=20
trials.
I also removed the kext cache files, in case something went wrong=20
generating them. Same result.=20
I had these kinds of problems several times before ... and after some=20
time playing with the kext cache files everything was fine again.=20
And OSX was still bootable in mol (0.9.68).

Strange thing. (Would be nice if OSX would tell me where the problems=20
are and not simply such a damn pic.)

> You can do this from Mac OS 9 or from Linux, whichever seems easier.
did this from linux using the hfsplus filesystem driver in the kernel.
=20
> > Hardware: PB G3 Wallstreet (462MHz G3 CPU upgrade, 192MB RAM)
> > Software: Linux 2.4.26, 128MB swap, mol 0.9.70, MacOS X 10.2.8
>=20
> > Any hints?
>=20
> Increase your swap space, and increase the memory allocation for mol.
it seems mol doesn't even try to use any swap. Swap usage is 0KB and=20
memory usage is about 50MB. (before and after starting mol)

> You can well use more than the physical RAM, no harm done if Linux
> starts swapping out parts of the emulator.=20
thought it needs directly mapped memory which is not swapable.

> Consider upgrading the
> RAM, the Wallstreet holds up to 512MB.
RAM modules are quite expensive these days :-(
I already thought about buying 256MB Kingston RAM (should be fine I=20
hope ... ) Low profile modules are also quite rare.

Further ideas?
TIA.

--=20
Christian Ordig