mol on powerbook

Eric Haines mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 22:02:11 -0400

On Tuesday 22 June 2004 12:32, you wrote:
> hi
>
> i am running debian sid on an 1999 powerbook with mac os 8.6
> kernel 2.4.25
>
> it took me a time to get mol to do anything, but now i m already so far,
> that mac os greets me with the welcome screen
> but when the first little icon apears on the left, i see a spinning disk
> and the text in it changes all the time very fast between "bus 0" and
> "looking"
>
> what is wrong ?
>
>      CD   /dev/cdrom       CD-ROM         <read-only>   ------
>      HFS  /dev/hda7        untitled       <rw>  640 MB BOOT
> ------> The volume '/dev/hda7' is locked
> ----> /dev/hda8 might be a boot-strap partition.
> ------> /dev/hda11 is linux-mounted with write privileges.
> Could not open '/dev/hda11' with read-write permissions
> ------> /dev/hda12 is linux-mounted with write privileges.
> Could not open '/dev/hda12' with read-write permissions
> No volumes found in '/dev/hda'
> No volumes found in '/dev/hdb'
> No volumes found in '/dev/sda'
> No volumes found in '/dev/sdb'

Seems to me that you haven't edited the /etc/mol/molrc.macos file.  It would
probably be best to erase or comment out the lines:

blkdev:             /dev/hda       -rw
blkdev:            /dev/hdb        -rw
blkdev:            /dev/sda        -rw
blkdev:            /dev/sdb        -rw

and replace them with lines that tell MOL which partitions are Mac
partitions.  Mine, for example, has:

blkdev:             /dev/hda5       -rw -boot
blkdev:             /dev/hda6       -rw
blkdev:             /dev/hda7       -rw

because those are my Mac partitions.  Make sure they are not used by Linux
before starting MOL.  i.e., unmount them if necessary.  It would be best if
they are never mounted as a matter of course except when you're transferring
data between MacOS and Linux (and MOL isn't running at the time, of course).

--Eric