Samuel Rydh mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 16:29:43 +0100

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 03:53:46PM +0100, Eddie Bindt wrote:
> Hmmm, that is strange, I really have the non-smp modules and the non-smp
> config in he right places... Rechecked and rebuilded kmods, but still the
> same problem ...

It might be some other CONFIG setting that differs. CONFIG_SMP was
just an example...

> > MOL looks for the kernel source in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build.
> > The main problem is that vendors tend to ship a single kernel
> > tree but multiple kernels. The source tree configuration will in general
> > not match the kernel. By doing distribution specific stuff it may
> > or may not be possible to recover working kernel headers.
> >
> > My personally opinion is that /lib/modules/`uname -r` should always
> > point to working kernel headers and the distro is broken if this
> > is not the case...
>
> hmmm, I am sure the right config is in the right source tree. I even did
> make oldconfig and make dep in the source tree ... Still no luck, I always
> was able to rebuild kmods, until now ...

It problem could also be a due to stale stuff in the source tree. The way
to resolve this is

	- backup the kernel .config file
	- do 'make mrproper'
	- restore the .config file
	- do 'make oldconfig ; make dep'

> There must be someway to solve this and still keep a stock YellowDog
> kernel and kernel-source ....

Btw. do you have versioned symbols? That is, does the /proc/ksyms "file"
contains the trailing Rnnnnn part like below?

	c02389b8 rtc_lock_R0f9b8c98
	c0006a70 clear_page_R3d9ee9f0
	c00088c0 do_signal_R6b4b6273

I would guess that MOL was compiled against headers with the versioning stuff
turned off while the running kernel uses it...

/Samuel