Tun devices / speed

Marius Li mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 09:47:35 +0000

Ok, this is probably not all that mol related, but I thought I'd drop
the question here. I've got X running on it's normal console 7. Under
that I run OS 9, networking to the world through tun0. On console 10
I've got OS X, connected to the big exciting world through tun1. Both
tun1 and tun0 are configured to route through eth0 as advised on the
site, also the mailing lists. Now, because I can, I've set up Xfree86
on OS X and sometimes route traffic through from the linux side- it
can be handy to see documents all pretty in emacs when working on
something in there.

So here's what I'm wondering: The traffic from linux to OS X and OS 9,
as far as it doesn't go through eth0, shouldn't limit the bandwidth on
my machine at all. (as far as I can see it doesn't) So really there's
no reason why tun0 and tun1 shouldn't be (ten billion)
gigabit-ethernet cards, right? If so, how is this configured?

--
MJ

I like spiders