Way too much SPAM on this list atm

Ulrich Plate mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 22:43:22 +0100

--Signature=_Sun__14_Mar_2004_22_43_22_+0100_/khMaP_XEotXRuE_

Sven Luther wrote:

> Well, the case is that you may miss bug reports from user not
> subscribed ot the list, and this may be a too expensive step to take
> for a user support mailing list, especially as a spam filter gets ride
> of most of the stuff anyway.

Spam filters unfortunately overdo things at time, and that may end up
being even more cumbersome than asking people to post from a registered
address. Since this list isn't hosted by Samuel and Sloopy, what do you
do if the moderators don't have control over the settings of a
despamming tool that gets rid of, say, legitimate mails being sent from
hosts this particular SpamAssassin doesn't trust? People running their
own SMTP servers behind a dialup connection could easily be hit by such
a mechanism, for example.

I'm moderating a handful of other mailing lists, and we've managed to
keep all of them entirely spam-free for years, by enforcing two
principles: posting rights are granted to  registered users only, and
each registration attempt requires prospective subscribers to answer a
confirmation mail sent out by the moderator. It's a little extra work
for everybody, but it definitely works.

Cheers
Ulrich Plate