Can startmol run OS 9 on eMac that only boots in OSX

Derrik Pates mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 20:32:30 -0500

John Lannon wrote:
> I have a new eMac with YellowDogLinux 3.0.1.  Is it
> possible to run MOL OS 9 even though the eMac only has
> OS X capability?  startmol for OS X works fine.  I was
> hoping to get around some drive issues with OS X by
> running OS 9 under MOL.  Thanks in Advance

Yes, it can. The reason OS 9.x won't boot on an eMac is because of newer
hardware - like the video controller and IDE controller - that OS 9.x
doesn't know how to deal with. Since MoL provides its own virtual
devices (and drivers) that MacOS 9.x will talk to, it doesn't have to
know (or care) about the real hardware.

--
Derrik Pates
dpates@dsdk12.net