devices available in MOL

Samuel Rydh mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 11:45:18 +0100

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 10:59:43PM -0800, Adam wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 22:08, Jens Schmalzing wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Adam writes:
> >
> > > I have been trying to get the DVD player and Firewire available in
> > > MOL... Has any else been so lucky to get them to work?
> >
> > The DVD player can be used through the block device driver, although I
> > don't know whether playback speed is acceptable.
>

> Is this using the /dev/hdd?  in mol i put
>
> blkdev:                 /dev/cdrom      -cd ${cdboot}
> blkdev:                 /dev/dvd        -ro -force
>
> this hangs up and gives me errors... I also used
>
> just
>
> blkdev:                 /dev/cdrom      -cd ${cdboot}
>
> and nothing is mounted.. apple's dvd player does not reconize any dvd
> device

Well, there are two problems:

- MOL needs to access the DVD as a generic SCSI device. This should
function automatically provided the kernel you are running supports
generic SCSI and ide-scsi emulation (you also need to add something
like "hdc=scsi" to /etc/yaboot.conf). This will make MacOS notice
the DVD correctly. Oh... and you also need a recent MOL version.

- Unfortunately, the DVD player in MacOS X requires hardware
support from the graphics card and it will refuse to start
regardless.

/Samuel