Which package needed for "make modules"

Jens Schmalzing mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
31 Mar 2004 17:31:49 +0200

Hi,

Marc-Olivier Killijian writes:

> I got my current kernel from an <apt-get install
> kernel-image-2.4.25-powerpc>

There is no such package in Debian.  You probably have
kernel-image-2.4.25-powerpc-pmac.

> and the sources from an <apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.25>.

This is not the source tree your kernel is built from.  If you want
that, use 'apt-get source kernel-image-2.4.25-powerpc-pmac', which
will pull in everything that is needed to rebuild your kernel. You
probably don't want to rebuild your kernel at all, but since you bring
it up ...

> When I try to do a make modules in mol-rsync, it uses the 2.4.25
> sources, fine.

There is no need to get the whole rsync tree if you want to use mol in
Debian.  Just install the Debian packages.  If they don't work, find
out what is wrong.  If it's my fault, report a bug.

> But when I try to run startmol, it complains that the modules are
> built for 2.4.25 and not for 2.4.25-powerpc.

Of course, since you were not using the correct source tree in the
first place (see above).

> I installed mol-modules-2.4.25-powerpc but it doesn't seem to be used.

The Debian packages for the mol modules are built for the Debian
package for mol.  But you should be able to run 'modprobe mol' and
then find the module in the output of 'lsmod'.  Running your
self-built emulator on top of that module is a different issue, it may
be possible or not.

Regards, Jens.

--=20
J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!
Le veux aimeb et mqubib panz je p=E9zqbpbe je djuz tqtaj!