OS X 8bit colour?

Nathanael D. Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Thu Nov 4 14:43:20 MST 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 13:32, David Miller wrote:
> Nathanael Noblet wrote:
> > Hello,
> > Installed Linux on my PowerBook G4 (400Mhz) machine, everything is
> > installed molvconfig worked and picked a bunch of the working modes.
> > Edited the /etc/mol/molrc.osx file and added the directory. All tests
> > succeed. Problem is when OS X gets to loading it is in probably 8 bit
> > color. I can't figure out why.
> >
> > How do I get it the right colors?
>
> What video card does that powerbook have?  If it's an NVidia, then the
> answer is most likely "you can't".  The framebuffer drivers for PPC
> NVidia only know how to do 8-bit color (as best as I can tell - I
> haven't found anyone authoritatively saying so).  There are (non-free)
> binary NVidia drivers for ix86, but not for PPC.  NVidia has publicly
> stated that they will not support PowerPC, ever, and redirect you to
> Apple, since it's their hardware.  It's extremely unlikely that Apple
> will ever make drivers for Linux, since they'd rather you run OS X.

ATI - I'm pretty sure. Now I've made a little progress. I can in full
screen mode get the resolution of 1152x768 in 24bit colour. What I want
though is a window in X, if full colour. I used the xdga settings to get
the screen resolution I wanted in the full screen mode. How do I change
what happens in xvideo?

--
Nathanael D. Noblet <nathanael at gnat.ca>
Gnat Solutions