Partition setup, and an SMP question

Adam Lynch alynch at braindumplings.com
Mon Oct 18 10:56:48 MDT 2004

  I've got a dual G4/450 PowerMac, running Gentoo. I've installed  MOL
via Portage, and everything seemed to go well, with no errors.

  I installed Gentoo to be the primary OS, and left a few GB free for OS
X (I kinda planned on MOL, once Gentoo was installed).

  Now I'm there. ;-)

  I'd ideally like to use the remaining space for OS X, but I'm not sure
how I need to partition it...

  Here's the current partition table:

/dev/hda1     Apple_partition_map Apple                    63 @ 1
( 31.5k)  Partition map
/dev/hda2         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap                2097152 @ 64
(  1.0G)  Linux swap
/dev/hda3         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 root               41943040 @ 2097216
( 20.0G)  Linux native
/dev/hda4         Apple_Bootstrap bootstrap              1600 @ 44040256
(800.0k)  NewWorld bootblock
/dev/hda5              Apple_Free Extra              15988576 @ 44041856
(  7.6G)  Free space

  I created a new partiton on hda5, filling the space. During the
create, I set the type to be "Apple_HFS", and named the new partition
"Apple_HFS_Untitled". I then ran hformat -l "OS X" /dev/hda5, and it ran.

  Once that was done, I booted the installer discs for 10.3, and it
found the "OS X" disk, but only 2GB of it, but it said it couldn't
install to that volume.

  The applicable section of /etc/mol/molrc.osx is:

blkdev:                 /dev/hda5       -rw -boot
blkdev:                 /dev/cdrom      -cd -ro

  Any thoughts as to what I need to do to get it cooking?

  Also, as a side note, how does MOL handle SMP? I'm going to assume the
kernel module is SMP-safe, but will OSX see 2 procs and use them
accordingly?

Thanks!

--
Adam Lynch
e-mail: alynch at braindumplings.com
web: http://www.braindumplings.com/

  "I'm pretty sure I could entertain myself in solitary confinement."