kernel panic with previously working MOL OSX (Debian Sarge, iBook G4)

Brian Ruth b.ruth at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Oct 28 09:56:25 MDT 2004

> On "startmol -X" I get the boot screen swiftly followed by a Darwin
> kernel panic:
>
>   panic(cpu 0): Unable to find a driver for this platform: "AAPL,MOL".
>
>   Latest stack backtrace....etc etc

This happened to me on a Debian/unstable setup, too. However, since I've
changed quite a lot on that machine, and it wasn't happening on another of
my machines, I just assumed I'd broken it somehow.

I decided to do a re-installation of OSX. At this point, I discovered that
while MOL would boot my old 10.3 CD quite happily, it was unable to boot
from a newer 10.3.5 CD (though installing 10.3.0 and updating to 10.3.5 via
Software Update did seem to work...)

Brian.