kernel panic with previously working MOL OSX (Debian Sarge, iBook G4)

Des Johnston D.A.Johnston at ma.hw.ac.uk
Wed Oct 27 10:55:07 MDT 2004

My MOL installation was working quite happily until today, when it started
generating kernel panics on boot.

Several things have been updated on both the Debian and OSX sides since
the last successful MOL boot, so I am not quite sure what has triggered
the problem.

The setup is an iBook G4 1Mhz, running Debian PPC tracking unstable,
with Mac OSX 10.3 and MOL 0.9.70-8 from the Debian packages, along with
the 0.9.70-1 mol-macosx drivers.

On "startmol -X" I get the boot screen swiftly followed by a Darwin
kernel panic:

  panic(cpu 0): Unable to find a driver for this platform: "AAPL,MOL".

  Latest stack backtrace....etc etc

Reinstalling the Debian packages has no effect, can I/should I reinstall
the OSX kexts. If so, how?

Any inspiration welcome...

DesJ