Basic networking - can't ping MacOS from Linux

Jim Easterbrook mol-general@lists.maconlinux.org
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 16:27:20 +0100

MOL version 0.9.70, Linux kernel 2.4.22-2gcustom, MacOS 8.6

I'm using the sheep net driver with eth0, and almost everything seems to
work: another Mac on my LAN can see both MOL's shared file system and
Linux's netatalk server, MOL can see the other Mac's shared file system,
and Linux can ping the other Mac.

But, MOL can't see the netatalk shared file system and Linux can't ping MOL
(destination host unreachable).

I'm sure I had all this working before I compiled my own kernel (to include
v4l, but that's another story) and then compiled MOL to use the new kernel
modules. Prior to this I'd relied on binary downloads.

I did find something in the archives about using a dummy interface instead
of eth0, but I've had no success with that either.

Any ideas?

Jim