Sound

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 18:58:17 MST 2005

On 12/11/05, Joseph Jezak <josejx at gentoo.org> wrote:
> Rob Frohne wrote:
> > I tried MOL using OS 9.2.2 and found that things like double clicking
> > didn't work until I installed the sound driver I found under the OS 9
> > partition put there by MOL.  Even then, the double click timing wasn't
> > smooth like running OS 9 natively.  Have you experienced this, or even
> > better have you solved this?  I'm using a Lombard and the Ubuntu Breezy
> > Badger release.
>
> Newer kernels don't work so well with MOL because of scheduler changes.
>   There's a patch for this in the mol-0.9.71_pre6 release you can find
> here: http://dev.gentoo.org/~josejx/mol-0.9.71_pre6.tar.bz2
>
> This cleared up the timing problems we were seeing on Gentoo.

I strongly agree on the patch... I'm assuming this is the patch that
increases MOL's "niceness" to zero. It was an absolute must after I
upgraded to Breezy. MOL still worked but it was painfully slow on
everything... now after patching and recompiling it's back up to its
former (almost native) speed. I pointed the Ubuntu MOL maintainer to
that patch so I presume it should be in the Dapper release.

I never tried MOL without the OS 9 sound driver so I can't compare. I
never had any trouble with sound in MOL on my 1998 Wallstreet
PowerBook, but the original poster on this thread didn't say what
hardware they were trying so it's hard to guess what the problem might
be.

P.S.: The only thing I have NOT been able to get going after the
Breezy upgrade is having AppleTalk and TCP/IP going at the same time.
Since I don't really need AppleTalk (I connect to the netatalk server
using TCP/IP) I haven't bothered trying to fix it.