Mac-on-Linux?

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 10:53:44 MST 2005

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:07:09 -0600, Joshua Wehner
<josh.wehner at ultratec.com> wrote:
> I did run molvconfig. I just ran it again to make sure, and tested
> every single video mode available. No dramatic change in my results.
>
> However, when I say "blank black screen", I mean that the video seems
> to shift into console mode, but nothing after that. What is worth
> nothing, though, is I do see the end ("*** DONE *** ") of the video
> probe on that screen, if I've run the probe recently.

OK, so it sounds like MOL is switching you to vt 9 (or whatever
virtual terminal you have set in /etc/mol/molrc.video ). You might
open molrc.video and change start_on_console to "no" -- that's how I
have mine set -- MOL opens in a window, and because I have
enable_console_video set to "on" I can switch to full screen in vt 9
when I want to, and back to X windows in vt 6 while MOL is still
running.

This is actually still a stab in the dark -- pardon the pun -- I'm
just hoping the problem is a video mis-match, and maybe you can at
least see the MOL startup icon (the penguin hugging an apple) when it
launches in a window instead of the full screen. You might also check
the startup resolution and depth settings -- I have mine set pretty
small, and a fairly small window opens when MOL starts, then the
window changes size and video depth to whatever I have in Mac OS once
the Mac OS starts booting.

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------
# Startup Resolution (this is used as a hint only)
# ----------------------------------------------------------------------
#

resolution:             800/600/30      # width/height/Hz
depth:                  16

(Don't copy my Hz setting -- this Mac has an LCD screen and you should
probably use whatever molvconfig said for the frequency (Hz), but as
far as I know you can put whatever you want in the width & height
settings. I'm mentioning this because it IS possible to damage a
monitor or LCD if you use a weird frequency setting for too long. The
bad ones are often accompanied by unusual images and noises, so you
would know if you got it wrong.)