Mac-on-Linux?

Joshua Wehner josh.wehner at ultratec.com
Fri Feb 25 11:15:52 MST 2005

Well... That did something.

I did have start_on_console set to *no*. So, that confused me a bit.
But, I changed auto_switch_console from "yes" to "no" and voila! I got
Mac-On-Linux in a itty-bitty window on my desktop.

However, the window was wonky. MOL never actually started; I didn't see
the Penguin-hugging logo. The desktop clip wasn't "live" - heck, the
window wasn't "live": whatever moved in front of that window (other
windows, menus, etc) got stuck there.

So, on a whim, I tried "startmol -X". I got a similar size window, with
a logo and a button that said "The current video mode/resolution is
unsupported by your X settings" (or something like that, it flipped by
pretty quick). mol then shutdown, saying "no bootable drives" (which is
probably accurate, I have no bootable OS X drive).

Okay... So, I tried to change the color depth, I set it to 16 and tried
plain "startmol" again. I got a different-size window (looks 640x ish
to me) but it's plain grey, and nothing happens.

With the color depth set to 16 (or 8, or any other random value I've
tried), I get the following:

- with "startmol" - a large (640x ish) window that's grey the whole
time. "startmol" throws errors about sheep, then seems to switch to TUN
and assigns an IP. That's the last message before I exit.

- with "startmol -X" - a large window appears, starts grey, turns blue,
then disappears shortly after. In the console, there are errors about
not having a bootable disk.

- I've also tried this with --cdboot (with an 8.6 OS CD in the drive)
but nothing changes from the above. Results are the same as without
"--cdboot".

I feel like I'm getting closer, though!

-- Joshua