10.3 won't install inside MOL

Llywelyn Fawr hacker at llywelyn.org
Sat Jul 16 04:55:57 MDT 2005

Hey!

I recently upgraded my OS X installation on my iBook to Tiger, and
afterward found out that MOL can't boot Tiger yet.  I didn't want to
downgrade back to Panther, but I wanted to be able to boot some form of OSX.

I thought I would install Panther, inside MOL, to a partition on an
external USB drive until Tiger is supported by MOL.
That way, I would have a working OSX installation, without messing up my
internal drive.

I set everything up, booted the Panther installation CD inside MOL, ran
Disk Utility to prepare the external USB partition (which OSX inside MOL
thought was an IDE drive), and went to actually install the OS when it
got to the "Select Destination" part.

It lists the "drive" that I want to install to, but it won't let me
actually install to it for the following reason:

"You cannot install Mac OS X on the volume.  You cannot start up your
computer using this volume."

Viewing the installation log, it lists the following errors:

root: error: can't obtain properties.
last message repeated 2 times
root: bootstrap_look_up(): unknown error code
root: bootstrap_look_up(): unknown error code
root: bootstrap_look_up(): unknown error code

The MOL screen shots show an OS9 installation running in MOL, but can
OSX be installed in MOL?

Is there any way to force OSX to install?

Thanks!  :-)

~llywelyn