The ol' Linux-on-Linux

Dan Potter bard at allusion.net
Mon Jun 6 10:16:17 MDT 2005

Thanks for the quick response!

On Jun 6, 2005, at 3:14 AM, Samuel Rydh wrote:

> Well, linux in MOL has not really been released properly. What you
> need
> to do is running a modified linux kernel within MOL.
>
> While it is possible to run un unmodified linux kernel and
> load mol specific drivers as kernel modules from an initrd,
> it turned out this was not a very practical solution
> (the source to those kernel modules are available in the ldev
> BitKeeper repository).

Yeah, I saw the notes about loading up an initrd and then switching
to a new root. I may give that a try just to see if I can get it
going in the mean time. Was that under 2.4 also, or do those modules
work in 2.6?

> A better solution is adding a special MOL platform to the kernel.
> I have done this for 2.4, although I haven't released this code
> code yet. I intend to port this code to 2.6 and try to get it into
> the kernel proper.

That does sound better.

> In summary, it is quite tricky a the moment to get linux-in-MOL
> working. It will be much simpler once I have put together the kernel
> modifications in a releasable form.
>
> I will try to fix this before the end of July.

As I said before, I'm fairly capable with the low level stuff (one of
my open source projects was an OS for writing Dreamcast homebrew
games) so if you'd like someone to dump some source on for testing or
whatever, just let me know.