Future of Mac-on-Linux?

Asko Kauppi asko.kauppi at sci.fi
Tue Jun 7 13:04:51 MDT 2005

As a potential user for your work (running Linux/ppc virtualized in
iMac) I'd like to share some opinions.

The phasing out of PowerPC will be gradual, and the Intel based
machines are supposed to run PowerPC binaries just fine (as long as
one doesn't touch G4, or Altivec stuff).  Therefore, I wouldn't make
haste decisions on this, just yet.  A Mac-on-Mac will most likely be
usable as a PowerPC virtualization tool also in the Intel platform.

Now, if nothing else, this situation offers a chance to "clear things
out" (as you're planning to do) and make them stable, then think what
really to do in the long run.  One year is plenty of time for things
to settle.

I would even see a situation (not current, but a scenario) where
Apple later decides to keep supporting both processor platforms.
It's all up to how IBM and Motorola react to this. The presentation
Steve gave showed the transition as a definite one, though.
(however, here there wouldn't be a similar "old technology" situation
as with the 68k phase-out, and support of two processor families
seems pretty easy for Apple just continuing the "double life").  So,
my 2¢ would be not to draw conclusions, just yet. :)

-ak