The ol' Linux-on-Linux

Dan Potter bard at allusion.net
Wed Jun 8 01:38:03 MDT 2005

On Jun 6, 2005, at 3:16 PM, Samuel Rydh wrote:

> Great! I'll send a patch with MOL support to the 2.4 kernel
> off list.

I wasn't able to get into the BitKeeper repository to grab the PPC
dev sources, but I was able to apply your patch to a stock 2.4.26
kernel, which was merged into the BK repo about the same time as the
suggested patch version. A couple of drivers are problematic to
build, but I'm guessing all of that can be turned off to get a nice
lean MOL kernel.

And the good news, I'm now able to boot the resulting vmlinux under
MOL! Proper penguin colors and successful all the way up to the root
FS mounting so far. Very cool. I haven't gotten to making an initrd
or anything, so it panics at mounting the root VFS.

Tomorrow I'll try building in all the drivers I need and see if I can
get the system booted up and perhaps patch the kernel up to the
latest released 2.4.