The ol' Linux-on-Linux

Dan Potter bard at allusion.net
Thu Jun 9 02:14:44 MDT 2005

On Jun 8, 2005, at 11:34 AM, Dan Potter wrote:

> With a few minutes' worth of research this morning I have a fully
> functional Debian sid system booting up inside MOL now. It's still
> using the 2.4.26 kernel, but I'm hoping to work on that tonight.

The LOL patches are now applied to a 2.4.31 kernel which I'm using
for testing. Using that and an rsync'd copy of MOL from this morning
on a 2.6.11 host kernel, I'm able to get quite good performance for
both CPU and disk access. The time to untar a 2.6.8 kernel source
tree onto a native partition is close enough to the native host speed
to practically be a rounding error. Very cool!

The only thing that seems to be sluggish is network performance. I
tried both the sheep and tun drivers, and both seem to top out at
about 16Mbit/sec on a 100Mbit network. The tun driver also had an rx
buffer full error while trying out a large transfer. With native
machines on the same network I can get about 60Mbit/sec. Any idea
what's going on there or how it might be improved?

Samuel, even though this stuff still isn't 100% "primetime", do you
have any problems with me posting it up for others to try out as well?