MOL Networking Follow-Up

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 07:22:19 MST 2005

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 21:03:13 -0500, Henry A. Leinhos <henry at leinhos.com> wrote:
> > Signal INT
> > One more to kill emulator
> > cleaning up...
> >
> > Message from syslogd at localhost at Fri Mar 25 20:58:23 2005 ...
> > localhost kernel: unregister_netdevice: waiting for tun0 to become
> > free. Usage count = 7
>
> Before I ^C out of it, my whole system drags to a crawl, and I get as
> far as the happy mac (this is the same for an X11 window or console).  I
> get several of the syslogd messages, so now I suspect my problem is with
> my kernel tun driver(?).

I'm not sure those messages mean much -- I see messages from tun on
the vt when mol shuts down.

Did you configure tun in MOL? Maybe there's something strange about
the configuration. Do you have a DHCP server on your LAN? (I do on my
router, so the MOL instance gets an address. It actually confuses the
router, because it's giving two IP addresses to the same hardware
address, but it mostly works anyway.)

I am guessing it's also possible it's a Macintosh extension that is
doing something strange -- have you tried switching to the vt and
holding shift to disable extensions while it boots? (The FAQ says you
may have to press shift a couple of times and then hold it because the
first keystroke gets lost.)

Just for comparison, here is what my MOL console output looks like
when booting MacOS 9.2.2 (and as we've discussed, I'm running the
0.9.70 release, which seems to be the stable version):

--------------------------------------
twt at pbg3:~$ startmol
Mac-on-Linux 0.9.70 [Dec 31 2004 12:57]
Copyright (C) 1997-2004 Samuel Rydh
Starting MOL session 0
Running in PowerPC 750 mode, 200 MB RAM
Timebase: 16.67 MHz, Bus: 66.68 MHz, Clock: 264 MHz
Using USB mouse on /dev/input/mice
OHCI USB controller registered
Fullscreen video on VT 9.
Cache enabled for console-video
Video driver(s): [xvideo] [console_video]

     640* 480, depth 8,32   { 0.0 } Hz
     800* 600, depth 8,32   { 0.0 } Hz
    1024* 768, depth 8,15,32   { 0.0, 60.0 } Hz
    1152* 768, depth 8,15,32   { 54.7 } Hz
    1152* 864, depth 8,32   { 0.0 } Hz
    1280*1024, depth 8,32   { 0.0 } Hz
    1600*1200, depth 8,32   { 0.0 } Hz

No video mode match the default one.
Ethernet Interface (port 1) 'sheep-<eth0>' @ FE:FD:DE:AD:BE:EF
---> DHCP server not installed
Ethernet Interface (port 2) 'tun-<tun0>' @ 00:00:0D:EA:DB:EE
OSS sound device unavailable (will be used anyway)
OSS sound driver
MOL SCSI controller registered

    [SCSI auto-probing disabled]

    <No SCSI Devices>

    CD   /dev/cdrom       CD-ROM         <read-only>   ------
    HFS+ /dev/hda10       PowerBook HD   <rw> 6999 MB
    HFS  /dev/hda11       shared7G       <rw> 7000 MB

>> Mac-on-Linux OpenFirmware 0.9.70
>> Boot Disk: /pci/pci-bridge/mol-blk at 0/disk at 1:0 [HFS+]
>> Timer calibration fix: 16.67 MHz [49273]
>> Starting ELF boot loader

+ Mouse Driver v1.0
+ Asynchronous Block Driver v1.4
+ Video Driver v1.12