Virtual PC doesn't run under MOL

Wim Vanderbauwhede wim at motherearth.org
Mon May 9 02:53:10 MDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-06 at 19:06 +0200, Karl Wettin wrote:
> On May 6, 2005, at 2:01 PM, Wim Vanderbauwhede wrote:
>
> > This question has been asked before
> > (http://lists.maconlinux.org/pipermail/mol-general/2003-March/
> > 001354.html), but maybe meanwhile someone has an answer:
> >
> > I have Virtual PC 7 running WinXP on OS X 10.3.8
> >
> > When I start Virtual PC under MOL, I get:
> > "Unhandled PowerPC exception: 0x300 - Data Access Fault"
> >
> > All other applications run fine, it's something particular to Virtual
> > PC. Any ideas/suggestions?
>
> It sounds like a waste of resources. Why not just boot a windos using
> qemu straight from your Linux instead?
It's a bit off-topic, I'll keep it short. I tried this first of all,
with qemu-0.7.0. But it is slow to the point of being unusable. I was
very disappointed, I don't think the qemu people are putting much effort
in a fast qemu for PPC. And sadly, they seem to have given up on
usermode emulation on PPC.
OS X under MOL performs quite well, so I assumed running Virtual PC this
way could still be faster than running qemu - but it doesn't work.

--
If it's pointless, what's the point?
If there is a point to it, what's the point?