using USB mic in mol

Tamas K Papp tpapp at Princeton.EDU
Wed Nov 2 08:15:46 MST 2005

I am trying to get my usb microphone working in MOL.  It is a simple
Logitech USB desktop mic and requires no extra drivers.

I blacklisted snd_usb_audio in Linux, so the mic shows up in Sytem
Preferences/Audio/Input as "Unknown USB audio device".  I try to test
the volume level, but OS X doesn't detect any sound when I speak to
the microphone (I tested the microphone and it is functional).

Sometimes I get a black screen "You need to restart your
computer. Hold down the power button for several seconds...".  I also
see kernel_task hogging up 94% of the virtual CPU.  I am using mol
0.9.70-20 from a debian package, with debian packaged linux kernel &
modules 2.6.12.

Tamas

--
Bayesian statistics is difficult in the sense that thinking is difficult.
--Donald A. Berry, American Statistician 51:242 (1997)