WHere is Romgrabber?

Aaron Morse aaron_morse at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 10 17:49:51 MDT 2005

This is a little off-topic, but I have a story you may
enjoy.

I have a friend once who wanted to emulate the Apple
][ on a NeXT. To do this he needed to dupe the ROMs.
His Apple ][ had no IO capabilities to speak of: no
serial ports, modem, floppy, network, etc. So, in the
course of eight hours he wrote two programs. One
program was written in assembly on the Apple ][ that
"played" the ROM through the speaker, with
error-correction. He recorded this sound with the
NeXT, and the other program was a error-detecting
decoder written in C.

It worked, but the baud rate not fast. :-)

Aaron