MOL development

Dan Potter bard at allusion.net
Mon Oct 10 21:59:33 MDT 2005

On Oct 10, 2005, at 2:01 AM, Sven Luther wrote:

> Do you have an idea of what the problems are about this topic, i
> have only
> sketchy notion of what was going wrong, and could never really run
> linux on
> MOL, even in the remote 2.4 days.

IIRC the problem was that the kernel has to be modified to make it
work. I don't know enough about MOL's internals to say why a stock
Linux kernel can't work, but the patches on that Sourceforge site add
hooks into interrupt processing, block I/O, and networking. Could be
an issue like on the Dreamcast, where the native software uses the
BIOS and the Linux kernel goes pretty much all direct. I assume OS X
would see MOL's hardware, scratch its head, and use whatever it can
through the emulated OpenFirmware.