skype

matt dilley matt at flp.bz
Fri Apr 7 16:20:54 MDT 2006

Hi
I thought I'd throw my tuppence-worth in
There is another voip system which runs natively on linux and windows
(and possibly mac - I'm not 100% sure). and it's a totally open protocol
(unlike skype, which is a closed system - which means the public don't
have any access to the workings of it, and therefore are plenty of
open-source products available to make use of it).

The system is called SIP, and is being supported by an already
successful company called Draytel (http://www.draytel.org) it's worth a
look at, there are a selection of clients to chose from.

I've tried it and have never gone back - I even use it as my new
permanent phone number from now on

Matt